Friday, September 18, 2015

My frustration with Mo DOT

I always learn something new when I am in Jefferson City.  This week I was very upset to learn of Mo DOT spending time, money and resource to provide Cultural and Diversity training to employees.  You may ask why I am upset over this, I will explain the reasons I have regarding my disapproval and frustration with this training.   This past year we have all heard how Mo DOT was short of the needed funds to maintain and repair our roads and bridges, it went so far as to a ballot measure that failed and bills being filed in the legislature this past session.   During the past session, I was very aware of and concerned for Mo DOT’s funding needs, especially as I have been under our bridges and seen for myself the deteriorating condition of our bridges, I have tried to be supportive of finding ways to address the funding issues to ensure Missourians safety on the roads.  Mo DOT has recently released a plan to care for a very primary roadway structure and I have been very good to explain the importance of this primary structure even though we have very little on the primary structure.  I have talked with other members of the legislative body about ways to find more funding for Mo DOT so that the secondary roads and bridges can be addressed.  


With all this being said, I cannot and will not be supportive of funds, resources and time, all of which are very precious commodities, to be used for Cultural and Diversity training while we have so many of our roads and bridges are listed as being in critical condition.  People’s lives and safety are more important than this type of training!  How will we all feel if someone is killed on our roadways or a bridge because we used our financial and personnel resources on other types of activities instead of first making sure our roads and bridges are safe?   If this is a Federal requirement due to some Federal monies our state has accepted, I will be more than happy to take this fight to our Federal Delegation serving in Washington DC and ask them to change this.  We must have safe roads and bridges to travel on.  Our economy needs safe roads and bridges for businesses to grow and thrive.  Our people deserve to be safe as they travel over Missouri roads and bridges.   I will continue to stand for wise use of our tax dollars and for common sense.  Missourians safety and lives come before Cultural and Diversity training.